Este sitio Web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros con objeto de mejorar la experiencia de navegación. Si continúa navegando estará aceptando de forma expresa el uso de estas cookies. Puede obtener más información en nuestra página Uso de Cookies

Accept
 

IRON BELT

The “Iron Belt”, whose official name was the “Proximity Defense of Bilbao” or the “Belt of Bilbao” was constructed between 1936 and 1937 by the Provisional Government of the Basque Country, in an attempt to defend the city.

It ran from the coastal town of Zierbena through Abanto, Muskiz, Galdames, Güeñes, Sodupe, Gordexola, Okondo, Laudio, Arrankudiaga, Ugao-Miraballes, Arrigorriaga, Zeberio, Galdakao, Larrabetzu, Gamiz-Fika, Mungia, Loiu, Gatika, Laukiz, Sopela and Berango, with extra fortifications at Urduliz and Barrika.

It was designed by Lieutenant Coronal Alberto Montaud Noguerol and consisted of a series of lines made up of trenches, machine-gun emplacements (pill-boxes), parapets, active and passive shelters, barbed wire fences and look-out posts.

There are information panels about the Belt in the following places: Barrika, Berango, Sopela, Urduliz, Laukiz, Gatika, Loiu, Mungia, Derio, Zamudio, Gamiz-Fika, Lezama, Larrabetzu.

There are information panels about other war remains in Gorliz and Maruri-Jatabe.